Monday 30 January 2012

Aloe Vera – The Healing Plant


This cactus like plant has a countless amount of medical uses, making it one of the most respected medical plants found in many gels, creams and lotions. Aloe has antibacterial, anti fungal and antiviral compounds that help prevent wound infections. It also has immune-stimulating and anti-inflammatory compounds, and it stimulates collagen synthesis and skin regeneration. Aloe gel contains vitamins C and E, plus the mineral zinc. Not only does an aloe plant provide quick relief from a burn or scald, the potted plants have been shown to remove formaldehyde from tainted indoor air.

For as long as I can remember, my grandparents have been growing and using aloe vera plants. From a scrape to a stomachache, my grandmother has always snapped me off some aloe leaves and sent me home with them (just like the Windex from My Big Fat Greek Wedding). Unlike Windex, aloe actually works for just about everything skin related. I have always had minor eczema on my hands/arms and aloe has always been a great form of relief. By simply applying a thin layer of aloe vera gel, a couple times a day I usually feel relief by the second day. Fresh aloe gel soothes pain, cools the skin and stimulates blood flow to burned skin. Aloe can be used for the treatment of acne, fleabites, rashes, sunburns and many other skin irritations. In addition to traditional uses, people take aloe orally to treat a variety of conditions including diabetes, asthma, epilepsy, and osteoarthritis.
                            



  
Do you have minor eczema or any other skin irritations? Try swapping your prescription cream for fresh aloe gel and see which one you prefer.

7 comments:

  1. Very informative! I'm actually an aloe fiend... soap, shampoo, shave lotion, etc. Might have to invest in a plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Aloe! It has saved me from the pain of many sunburns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here!!! I got a sunburn so bad when I was in Grade 1 that my teacher bought me an aloe plant! We had that plant for about 7 years! It was my savior in the summer! After reading this entry, I think I'm gonna have to buy another one.

      Delete
  4. I love aloe, but had never considered having my own plant. Maybe it's time to look into that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got my first aloe plant from my mom. Fell in love with aloe when it saved my forehead from a awful burn in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea that aloe could remove formaldehyde from tainted indoor air, thats nuts!! And I agree with everyones sunburn comments. Now I'm kinda intrigued about buying a plant I'v never even though about it before.

    ReplyDelete