Monday 20 February 2012

Under Eye Dark Circles

I used to think that those dark circles under my eyes were from staying up too late or being stressed. In reality people’s behavior is not at all linked to dark under-eye circles. Dark circles are not your fault, they do not mysteriously appear when you have done something wrong and they don’t vanish when you get more than 8 hours of sleep. They are however genetic, meaning if your parents suffer from them you more than likely do as well and so will your children.

These dark under-eye circles are nothing to worry about but never the less they are still annoying. Extremely annoyed with mine I decided to investigate. My first question was why? I found a general consensus from my readings, that dark under-eye circles are caused by weakened capillaries around the eyes, and just like eye color and skin tone this is a gene that we inherit from our parents. They can also be caused by: nasal congestion, allergies, lack of vitamins, poor adrenals, bad circulation, broken vessels and more.

Next I wondered what I could do to make mine less noticeable. I found the obvious cosmetic surgeries and injections that are not only pricey but also unnecessary. So how can you tame those dark under eye circles without getting surgery or needles in your face?

Cucumber Slices (its not just a movie thing)
Using cucumber slices over your eyes for 10-15 minutes a day can actually refresh the skin and give your eyes a little pick-me-up.

Cool Tea Bags
Using cool tea bags (wet them down and then put into fridge to cool) over your eyes for 10-15 minutes can reduce discoloration. Some people state that caffeinated tea bags work best; I personally prefer green or chamomile tea bags.



Frozen Spoons
You can also put frozen spoons over your eyes and hold them there until the spoons become warm. I personally do not think this method is most effective, but it works for some people.
    

If those dark circles are bothering you give one of these remedies a try before you consider any cosmetic surgery or injections. If you want something a littler stronger than a home remedy Dr. Oz recommends using Vitamin C or A creams.

5 comments:

  1. Do you think that one type of tea would be more effective? I know you said that some people say decaffeinated is best, but what about really taking the plant (the herb?) into more consideration? I think it would be really fascinating to see which plants, if any, were better at strengthening the capillaries, thus making the under eye circles less visible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam thank you for this amazing post. My mother and I both suffer with dark circles. We have always blamed lack of sleep. I guess I am suck with them. Thank you for supplying some remedies to diminish the circles - I will have to give the tea bags a try and report back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, what a useful post! Women everywhere would find these tips helpful. It makes me happy to know that cucumbers actually help with dark circles and aren't just a movie thing. I will have to try the tea bags too! Thanks for the information :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an interesting find. Good job.

    p.s.
    Can I eat the cucumbers after? haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd just eat the cucumbers- definitely my favourite food. I don't really have a dark circles problem yet, but I'm sure once I start working they'll develop and I'll have to refer back to your blog. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete